Starting tomorrow, this will be my home for the next 2+ months. With the help of a few kind touring cyclists and some ultralight backpacking friends, I’ve whittled down the items I’ll be taking with me on my tour.
*a quick note about Arkel. I received a noticed from their customer service department stating that the bag I wanted was on backorder because they were currently going into production. I replied back stating that I was on a time crunch for an upcoming tour and they said they’d try to have it out as soon as possible. I checked in once more a few days later and the kind ladies in the customer service department spoke with the seamstress and had one rush- finished and out the door the same day. Not only is Arkel’s customer service fantastic, but this handmade bag is amazing quality. I, HANDS DOWN, recommend this bag over any other*
- clothes (1 lightweight non-cotton sundress, 2 pair padded bike shorts, 1 wool cycling shirt, 1 tank, 1 synthetic running shirt, 1 smartwool long sleeve, 1 pair athletic leggings, 1 off-bike skirt, 1 pair Patagonia underwear, 2 pair smartwool cycling socks, 1 sports bra, teva sandals)
- cord for stringing clothes/tent/sleeping bag up to dry
- toiletries (Dr Bronners, toothpaste, toothbrush, sunscreen, herbal bug spray, moon cup, chamois buttr, deodorant)
- camp towel
- Therm-a-Rest packable travel pillow
- camp kitchen (2 qt aluminum pot, penny stove, alcohol, lighter)
- Patagonia Down Sweater jacket
- Therm-a-Rest NeoAir sleeping pad
- medical kit
- bulk food (parboiled brown rice, quick oats, peanut butter, crunchy chickpeas, trail mix, lentils, Vega protein powder)
- REI 40+ sleeping bag
- bike tools (Alien 2 multiool, spare links, 2 tubes, chain cleaner and lube)
The number of images in this post exceed any other post by A LOT. I just had such a hard time narrowing down my favorites. This session was a landmark one. It started out like a lot of other sessions, as you can see. Lovely posed shots, nothing at all wrong with them. But then the kids got restless as kids always do- so I decided to use my nanny experience, get on their level and just play. (novel idea, right?)For over an hour we slid down slides, jumped up and down, raced across the lawn, climbed on hay bales and explored. Garage sale rainbow necklace, wrist full of friendship bracelets, skinned knees, bug bites, wind-blown hair and so much laughter. These images just tell the story of childhood so well and I love them so much. I hope you do too.
“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.” -jack kerouac